As with any electronic device, a hearing aid can wear down over time. To keep them in proper working order for as long as possible, regular cleaning and maintenance is necessary.
Use this guide to help you understand the best hearing aid fix and repairs in VA.
What Are Common Hearing Aid Problems That Need to Be Fixed?
Hearing aids are small devices made up of even smaller components. While hearing aids are made to be durable, things can break. Some of the most common reasons people seek repairs are related to:
- Earwax: Excessive earwax can interfere with a hearing aid’s performance. This is more of a cleaning issue than repair, but if you find earwax has gotten into the hearing aid microphone or another part you can’t get to, take it to your hearing aid specialist to be cleaned.
- Batteries: Rechargeable batteries are an option of course, but many patients choose a standard hearing aid battery. Like all batteries, they lose power and need to be replaced.
- Moisture: If you wear your hearing aid while swimming or in the shower, moisture is inevitable. Protective coatings are available, but not all hearing devices have it.
- Malfunction: Hearing aids are small, and their parts are even smaller. And, unsurprisingly, they aren’t indestructible. They can be dropped, stepped on, or broken in other ways that require repair or replacement.
Understand Your Warranty
Most hearing aids come with at least a one-year warranty. Read it to make sure you know what is covered and what isn’t. Does it cover only repairs? Will it cover replacements?
Given the lifespan of a hearing aid is typically five to six years, it might be worth your money to invest in an extended warranty. This provides coverage from the time your original warranty expires until you’re ready for an upgrade.
Keep in mind, even if your hearing aid warranty has expired, it is still possible to have repairs done. The best hearing aid fix and repairs in VA are not usually very expensive.
Hearing Aid Maintenance 101
One of the most crucial things you can do to prolong the life of your hearing devices is to properly take care of them, and be sure to clean your hearing aids regularly. While you can get full instructions from your hearing aid specialist, here are tips to keep in mind:
- Always wash your hands before handing in your hearing aid.
- Handle your hearing aid gently, with care, and in a well-lit area.
- Store your hearing aid in a dry place, and keep them away from kids and pets.
- When not using your hearing aid, turn them off to preserve the battery.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to remove earwax and debris.
- If you use a wax guard, be sure to clean it or change it regularly.
- Avoid wearing your hearing aid in water or while using a hair dryer.
Schedule Regular Visits With Your Hearing Aid Specialist
Nothing can replace regularly scheduled visits with your hearing aid specialist. They are the expert when it comes to everything hearing aid related, and this is where you’ll get the best advice. Your hearing aid specialist can handle most repairs, as well as answer all your questions regarding proper care.
If You Need the Best Hearing Aid Fix and Repairs in VA, Contact ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery Today!
ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery offers a wide array of services and hearing aids to fit every lifestyle. We also clean and repair hearing aids for our patients.
To learn more about our services, please call us at 703-448-0005. Help for your device is only a phone call away!